Let’s call it “Practicing the P’s” of speaking the truth in love, which is at the heart of what Jesus teaches in Matthew 18.
2. Propose a time
3. Prepare the P&J (J for Jesus) Sandwich
· Proactive Plan
· Pray for the Lord to give you the words. Pray for your attitude to be right in the situation.
· Propose a time and place to meet in private
· Prepare before you ask for the meeting. Use the P&J sandwich method:
· Start out with prayer and something positive about the person
· State the problem and take ownership of it.
Examples: “I’m have a problem because I heard that you were saying untrue things about me.”
“Have I done something to offend you? If so, I apologize and I would like us to talk about it.”
· Close with a proactive plan on how you can get along
· Preserve each other’s dignity.
· Protect one another’s privacy.
· Promote ways for the two of you to get along
*From the books by Jody Capehart and Angela Carnathan